January 1, 2016

Superlatives: Book Edition

Hi guys! This year, we decided to share our favorite reads/releases in the format of book superlatives. We picked out categories (such as best dressed and most likely to succeed) and each chose a book we read or a new release from 2015 to go with each category. Here's what we came up with:

Best Dressed (Prettiest Cover)

 
Kaylie: There were so many pretty covers this year (honorable mentions include Queen of Shadows, The Wrath and the Dawn, and Six of Crows), but I really liked the cover for Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. I don't think the picture does the physical cover much justice, but the illustrations are so detailed and colorful and the use of negative space is perfect!

Alyssa: This one was really really hard for me to decide, as there are SO MANY pretty covers out there! But I decided to go with Rain by Amanda Sun, which is the second book of the Paper Gods trilogy. The watercolor art is beautiful, and I love the colors. You can't tell from the picture, but the cover is made of a textured paper material. And I love how it goes so well with the design of the first book, Ink... anyone else unhappy about the cover change for the final book? And the book itself is a unique and overall amazing read!  


Most Likely to Succeed (A Great First Book)

 
Kaylie: I highly enjoyed Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. The formatting of the book made it so much fun to read and the plot of the book was enthralling! I also loved the characters (yes, even the evil space computer thing) and they way the book ended, setting up for the next book. The second book is titled Gemina and is scheduled to release Fall 2016.

Alyssa: For this category, I would have to go with The Wrath and the Dawn by RenĂ©e Ahdieh. I loved everything in this book- the fascinating world, the characters, the poetic writing style... Plus, the book ends in a way that left me dying to find out what would happen next! The second book, The Rose and the Dagger, is set to be released May 2016.


Cutest Couple (Best YA Couple)

 
Kaylie: Six of Crows had ALL THE SHIPS. I loved our little crew and all of the couples in this book, although I'm on the fence about Kaz and Inej (she's too good for him). Highly recommend, not just for the romance, but for the heist and action and plot, too!

Alyssa: One of my favorite couples was Mara Dyer and Noah Shaw from the Mara Dyer series, specifically in The Evolution of Mara Dyer. Their relationship evolves A LOT more in this book, and you can see that they just work so well together. There's not a lot more I can say without spoilers, but Mara Dyer is one of my favorite series (especially Evolution). 


Class Clown (Funniest Book/Character)

 
Kaylie: In true Rick Riordan fashion, The Sword of Summer cracked me up. So much wit and sarcasm condensed into one teenaged boy! As one of my favorite authors, Rick Riordan did not disappoint with Magnus Chase!

Alyssa: How could I not go with Simon of Simon and the Homo Sapiens Agenda? Becky Albertalli writes Simon with the perfect mix of laugh-out-loud hilariousness, sarcasm, and sassy-ness. Simon is definitely one of my favorite books of the year- you can read my full review here.


Heartbreaker (A Book that Gave You All the Feels)

 
Kaylie: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven was one of  my favorite reads this year. It deals with mental disabilities and has beautiful writing. I can't say much else without spoiling the plot, but it made me cry, a lot.

Alyssa: So I FINALLY got around to reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins this year. There were some parts where it was a bit slow for me, but I enjoyed it overall. Not much I can say without spoilers, but the deaths of CERTAIN CHARACTERS *cough cough* made me REALLY emotional. Also the movie made me cry. 


Most Likely to Become an Actor (A Book You Want to Be Adapted to Film)

 
Kaylie: The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas is one of my all time favorites! It has a perfect mixture of fantasy, romance, and action. I also love the characters and the world it's set in (although I wouldn't love living in it). I think that it has great potential to become a television show.

Alyssa: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard was one of my most anticipated releases of this year! It's filled with action, mystery, fantasy, and more. The book was full of twists and turns and always keeps you on your feet. It's like The Hunger Games + X-Men + a bit of The Selection. (Actually, it turns out Red Queen is becoming a movie... it's being directed by Elizabeth Banks, who played Effie in The Hunger Games!)


Most Changed (Best Series Finale)

 
Kaylie: The Lunar Chronicles is another one of my favorite series and it kept getting better as it progressed! Although there were some times when Winter dragged on a bit, it was a very satisfying conclusion. I'm glad that Marissa Meyer took the time and 800 pages to wrap up the series nicely.

Alyssa: I read Monsters of Men, the final books of The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness this year. While the conclusion was sad (as in most series), it summed things up well for the most part. The Chaos Walking trilogy is one of my favorite series.


Person that You Wish You Knew (A Release You Didn't Get to this Year)

 
Kaylie: There were so many releases I didn't get to this year (Red Queen, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, A Darker Shade of Magic)! But I chose An Ember in the Ashes because it's been getting spectacular ratings and has gotten lots of good hype! The plot sounds interesting, so I hope I can get to it next year.

Alyssa: One of my most anticipated books that I didn't get to read this year was Ten Thousand Skies Above You, by Claudia Gray, the second book of the Firebird series. I loved the first book, A Thousand Pieces of You- it had an interesting and unique plot, and the story always kept me on my toes. I really hope I get to Ten Thousand Skies next year so I can see how the series progresses! Plus look at that cover *heart eyes* 


Biggest Gossip (An Over Hyped Book/Biggest Let Down)

 
Kaylie: I was kind of disappointed with The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan. The Heroes of Olympus is such a good series and the previous two books were my favorites of the series, so I had very high expectations. I think that it fell flat for a conclusion. A lot of the book was rushed and I felt that the book was too short to tie everything up. Hopefully, we'll get more closer in Rick's new series, The Trials of Apollo.

Alyssa: After meeting Suzanne Young, author of The Program, at a local book festival a few months ago, I was excited to read the book. Unfortunately, it ended up being a disappointment for me. Personally, I disagreed with the way she used mental illness as a plot point and the way it was portrayed. I also disliked most of the characters and the romance. However, her newest release, Hotel Rubysounds intriguing, so I may read it in 2016.

That's it for this post! Thanks so much for reading and happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment