July 31, 2015

Review: The Wrath and the Dawn

Title: The Wrath and the Dawn
Author: Renée Ahdieh
Pages: 388
Published: May 12th 2015 by Putnam
Series: StandaloneBuy on the Book Depository
A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.
Hey guys!
Sorry for not posting in a month or so, but I've been busy on vacation and have had limited computer access. I found out the hard way that it's WAY difficult writing a blog post on a phone, so I decided to just wait it out. When I haven't been catching up on beauty sleep (school definitely takes that away from you) I've been happily guzzling up some new reads. Today I'm here to talk about a book I was really skeptical about reading but ended up falling in love with. The reason I was so skeptical about reading this book is because I've read a few retellings of A Thousand and One Nights, as well as the original, and I didn't enjoy them very much. However, this book has been crazy hyped up and a lot of people loved it, so I figured I might as well give it a try.

There were so many brilliant things about this book. The writing was BEAUTIFUL, I was lost in descriptions of gorgeous ethnic wear and on more than one occasion my stomach grumbled at the way the food was portrayed. But more than that, the romance was tastefully done. A lot of times, romance is given too much spotlight, and at other times there is too little of it, but in this story it was well balanced with themes of revenge, friendship and family, honor, etc. Another thing I really liked about this novel was that it portrayed themes of feminism. Shazi is a strong female character who holds her own with a man who is known for murdering his wives. She is realistically fearless and she doesn't give a damn about what Khalid thinks of her when she thinks little of him. She doesn't let him own her and she definitely does not give up on what she wants.It was also a lot of fun to get to read the story Shazi told, as it was immensely captivating.

As for things I didn't like, there were few. All I can say without spoiling the story is that I found a few things to be unrealistic. For instance, Shazi barely told any of her story before it became dawn. That doesn't seem possible even if she was talking at the pace a sloth moves. But other than that, five stars!

~ the SPOILERY bit~

One thing that bothered me about this book was that there was a bit too much of a typical love triangle, with the boy back home and then the boy the girl meets and ultimately likes better. How many series has that happened in? While I ship Khalid and Shazi, I do wish that the author had done something better with the love triangle. It lacked the oomph that the rest of the story had, but ultimately wasn't too big of a deal. Also, it seemed unrealistic that it would only take two nights to convince Khalid to keep Shazi alive. Overall, though, this book was fantastic.

~ SPOILERS OVER ~

Okay, that's it for this post! Definitely check out this book as it's a masterpiece, and let me know what you think down in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment