July 22, 2015

Review: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Title: Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda
Author: Becky Albertalli
Pages: 303
Published: April 7th 2015 by Balzer + Bray
Series: Standalone
Buy on the Book Depository
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.
Hi everyone! The other day I just finished Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky AIlbertalli.When I first heard about this book, I wasn't very interested. However, people were saying AMAZING things about it. So when I saw it in ARC form at a local bookstore, I immediately picked it up and started reading. And despite my high expectations, I LOVED IT. I finished it in less than a day- which is saying something, as it usually takes me about three days to read a book. And yeah, I know, I'm kind of late to the Simon bandwagon, but I totally understand the hype now.

Where to begin? This book was so cute, funny, adorable, and realistic- I actually laughed out loud at some parts. Despite the fact that there is blackmail and lots of bad feelings between certain characters, it's a light- hearted, cute read. Simon was a great narrator/character - funny, relatable, honest, sweet, cynical, and awkward. Not to mention realistic. A lot of characters in YA contemporary nowadays are unrealistically profound and eloquent. While Simon had deep stuff to say, it wasn't to the point where he sounded wise beyond his years. Another thing I really liked was that it also explored Simon's other aspects of his life, besides the romance. Nowadays, most YA books make the main focus the romance, but Simon was not the case. While this book was mostly funny and cute, it could get deep and emotional, and I think Becky Albertalli did a great job of balancing it out so that it wasn't too sad (cough cough TFIOS).  

My only complaints would be that the beginning was a bit confusing for me. A lot of characters were introduced at once and I could barely keep them straight. But as the book continued on, it was easier to remember who was who. And yeah, I did kinda guess who Blue was, but it wasn't annoying me that Simon didn't figure him out sooner. Plus Simon and Blue are sososo adorable.

If you still need reasons to be loving this book already, here are some more:
1. TONS of Harry Potter references
2. Good music (Passion Pit for life)
3. OREOS
4. Waffles
5. Reese's 

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes contemporaries- or anyone, really. Overall, a fantastic debut novel! Can't wait to read more of Becky Albertalli's books in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment