May 9, 2015

Soumya's April Wrap-Up

Hi guys!
Sorry this post is so late. These past few weeks have been mayhem (get it? Mayhem?) er, anyways, I had family visiting, tests going on, and the internet was down for a bit too. So, because of all of that and plenty of other reasons I won't bore you with, this post is quite overdue. Let's get right into April!

I. READING IN GENERAL
I read 43 books this month! That's seven more books than last month, so I'm really impressed. I think that's probably because I had a whole week of Spring Break to read. Oh, and also 5 days of May. So in the May wrap-up, there'll probably be less books. Like around 30-ish. This month, I started a lot of new series and trilogies - started meaning I just read the first book. I read one trilogy, one fashion nonfiction book, one set of novellas, two graphic novels, one memoir, one companion novel, and lots more. I did two really exciting book-related things this month, which is a lot more than March. First off, I went to Yallwest, which is a young adult book festival in Santa Monica. Check out my post on it here! I also got to meet the awesome Leila Sales at a bookstore and won the very first ARC of Tonight The Streets Are Ours given to a teenager!!! That's definitely an experience I won't forget.

Here are all the pics of what I read last month! There are only 42 pics because one of the Mara Dyer books I featured in the last post because Goodreads was being glitchy. As of May 8th, Stitching Snow is the most recent read of mine and Bittersweet is the oldest.




II. THE 2015 READING CHALLENGE
Um...I made zero progress on this challenge this month. I feel really bad, but I just didn't feel like it. I promised you guys last month I would do better in April, but I lied. Sorry. Maybe next month? Finals are coming up and stuff, so I'm really not sure how much time I'll get to read.

III. MY FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE BOOKS
I will now choose the books. Eeeet will beee amazing. Okay, that's kind of weird. Anyways, read on!

MY FAVORITE: The Queen Of Bright And Shiny Things by Ann Aguirre 

I fell heads-over-sneakers in love with this book. I got an ARC of it a while back and I dove right into the book the day after I got it. The cover is beautiful. Like OMG beautiful. The story is beautiful. The characters are beautiful. I fell into a pool of beautifulness reading this book. I liked the love story, but even more than that I liked the themes of family and friendship, the somewhat-realistic portrayal of high school. It's gotten some mixed reviews, but I really liked it. And maybe it was just too many feels, maybe I wouldn't like it so much the next time around, maybe, maybe, maybe. All I know was that it was good and you should read it. Read it now. Actually, finish reading this post and then go read it. :D

MY LEAST FAVORITE: The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson

To start off, I should say that I have nothing against Kevin Emerson. I really liked The Fellowship For Alien Detection and while I haven't read Exile yet, it seems good. I even got to meet him at a book event and I really liked his personality. But I really really really did not like this book. Getting to the end was like trying to climb out of a pit of quicksand. Slippery, difficult, and not enjoyable. The ending wasn't redeemable either. It just kind of sucked.  I didn't like any of the characters, I hated the setting, I had a strong dislike for the plot, and the book was just plain boring. Stay away from this book because it pained me to give it even one star.


IV. BOOK HAUL
It's haul time! I got a lot of books this month - 7. I bought The 100 by Kass Morgan, Popular by Maya Van Wagenen, Panic by Lauren Oliver, and Noggin by John Corey Whaley. I received ARCs of 99 Days by Katie Cotugno, The Queen Of Bright And Shiny Things by Ann Aguirre, and Tonight The Streets Are Ours by Leila Sales. They were all in the decent to amazing range, so that was nice. I also got two bookish t-shirts, which really shouldn't count but I'll add them anyways. One is a Yallwest shirt and the other is a shirt I got that has a really cool quote from All The Bright Places on it. So that was pretty cool.

V. LIFE
April has been an exciting month, to say the least. There were a lot of birthdays and visitors this month, which was nice, but there were also lots of tests, which were decidedly not nice. I watched a lot of TV this month and became kinda sorta addicted to Trivia Crack. There's been a lot of drama lately, but it's been okay. I got rubber bands in addition to my braces, because apparently my teeth are really terrible. But, I finally got a chance to go shopping for summery clothes, which I've been dying to do for a really long time. May and the first few days of June are going to be crazy, with end-of-year projects due and finals coming up but also fun things to look forward to like amusement park trips...I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

That's it for this wrap-up! Hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment