April 26, 2015

Insurgent Movie Review

Hi guys!  Back in March, I saw the movie adaptation of Insurgent! I thought it was mildly entertaining, but as I had expected, it wasn't faithful to the book.

Before the movie was out, I knew that I was going to watch it because I'm a huge fan of the Divergent series. However, I was not very impressed by a lot of the trailers. So, I went into the movie theater with pretty low expectations. I definitely enjoyed the Divergent adaptation a lot more. Which, of course, wasn't perfect, but was significantly better than this sequel.

Overall, there were a few changes and parts that I did like, and a lot I didn't. To put it bluntly, it was like the directors took the characters, the title, and a very vague concept, and then threw the rest of the book away. They created this sort of Frankenstein of their ideas and with some actual Insurgent content thrown in from time to time. I'm pretty sure their when they were writing the script, their thoughts were something along the lines of, okay, I'm gonna take a Tris and a Four and a Peter, with a dash of Caleb and Uriah and then lets throw in a super weird high-tech box and kill a bunch of divergents to dice things up!

Now I'm gonna go into more detail about my thoughts and opinions, so if you don't want to get spoiled for the book or movie, exit the post right now!

First I'm gonna start by talking about what I did not like.

1. Uriah, Lynn, and Marlene still had close to insignificant roles. They were already taken out of the Divergent movie, supposedly so the characters could be better developed in this movie. They were going to play and oh-so-big part in this movie! However, Uriah was on screen for one minute- AND THEN BAM! He gets shot. We don't learn Marlene's name until after she falls off a building to her doom. And I'm pretty sure they don't even mention Lynn's name. HER BROTHER PLAYED A BIGGER ROLE! This frustrates me so much because I feel like they were pretty significant characters in the book, but were completely overlooked in the movies.

2. I felt that quite a bit of the technology used in the movie was sort of cheesy and unrealistic, even for the future. For example, the magical tripod-like thingies that can tell what faction you're in and your percentage of divergent-ness by scanning your face. *sigh* I don't even understand. How would that even work?! It also pretty much goes completely against the "don't judge a book by it's cover" rule. The stupid device determines everything about you by your appearance, which irritates me so much! And don't even get me started on the box. But I'll talk more about that later on.

3. Four looks older than, or at least the same age as, his mom. I mean, this was more of a casting issue rather than a movie issue, but still, it bugs me. In real life, the actors are actually only sixteen years apart in age. I JUST CAN'T GET OVER IT!

4. Tris's screams/cries/yells. I know, it sounds weird, but if you pay attention, you'd notice whenever Shai raises her voice, it gets really high-pitched and squeaky sounding. Sort of how I imagine suffocating a mouse would sound like. For example, when Tris is under the truth serum, she cries, but her voice gets super high and it made it hard for me to pay attention to anything but that. Also during the sim when Tris is trying to save her mom, she screaming and yelling and jumping off buildings, but there it was again, the squeak. Another time this happens is when Tris turns herself over to Jeanie, but then holds a gun to her head and threatens to kill herself if Jeanine didn't stop killing innocent people. Tris said, "''I'm guessing you need me alive for this to work, right? RIGHT?" And her voice squeaked on the second "Right", which kind of ruined that intense moment.

5. THIS. FRIGGIN. BOX.
Honestly, this box really pisses me off. Why did the directors have to get all high tech? What the heck is wrong with normal flash drives? Did they think, ooooh, a magical box with snake-y wires that kills people will be far more believable than a flash drive. I think that the only reason they had this box put in was to keep the simulation aspect that was in the first movie. I think my main grudge against it is because it significantly changed the entire plot of the movie and I didn't really like the way it replaced other scenes that were in the book. In this case, I don't think it would've been too difficult to just follow the book.

6. Every single character minus Tris and Four seemed minor. It's like Tris and Four are in every single scene and every now and then, Evelyn or Jeanine pop up. The people like Christina and Marcus (he's on for about five seconds until he gets shot at by evil dauntless. How typical) pretty much had the same amount of screen time as Uriah. It bugs me because in the movie it's like the only person Tris has is Four, but in the book, that is not the case at all.

Okay, that was the end of my rant. Now on to the few things that I did like!

1. Peter. I found it so ironic that one of the things I liked about this movie was Peter. But anyway, Peter acted as our comic relief throughout the movie and I really enjoyed that. But then I could counter that and say that he wouldn't have needed to be the comic relief if Uriah in the movie played the same role as he did in the books, but whatever.

2. The relationship between Caleb and Tris. I liked that we got to see more of what Caleb was feeling and going through. For example, on the factionless train we can see his expression after he beat that factionless man. We get a sense of how these events affect him. I also liked that in the movie we get to see a bit more of Caleb's motive and why he decided to betray Tris. To see that scene in Tris's prison cell and hear Caleb ask her what else is more selfless than turning over his only remaining family so the city can be safe and whatnot, was really interesting.

Okay, I am now finished with my very lengthy rant review! I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the Insurgent movie! What did you like or dislike about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment