January 27, 2015

Soumya's January Wrap-Up

Hi guys!
Sorry for not posting in, like, forever. But my life's been crazy and there's just so much going on...like I said, with the 2015 Reading Challenge and whatnot, there's been a lot going on this month. So, I'm going to start writing wrap-ups. Kaylie will do the blog wrap-up, and I'm just going to do a personal one, where I'll feature my progress on the 2015 Reading Challenge, favorite/least favorite books of the month, and other miscellaneous stuff.

So here goes!

I. The 2015 Reading Challenge

The 2015 Reading Challenge is going great! I already completed 2 challenges (out of 16) and am working on the third one. The first challenge I picked was to Read A Book Written By An Author From A Different Country. For that challenge, I read Death Cloud by Andrew Lane. It's about a teenage Sherlock Holmes, and like him, Andrew Lane is from England. I thought the book was okay, but I enjoyed the second one, Rebel Fire, much more. I'm also done reading Black Ice, the third book in the series. My second challenge was to Put Together a 12 Song Playlist Inspired By Books. TBH, I really hated this challenge. It was a struggle and quite boring. I was more content listening to Ellie Goulding than finding songs to match Harry Potter. Nevertheless, my playlist is below. Enjoy it, if you will. The third challenge, which I am currently working on, is to Read A Book You Didn't Understand The First Time. For this challenge, I'm reading Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin. The first time I read this book, I was too young for it and didn't really get it. But I liked it. So, I'm rereading it to see how I feel as a (slightly) more mature reader.

The Playlist:
I tried embedding a Spotify playlist here, but it didn't work...so I just embedded YouTube videos. Sorry!
Animals- Maroon 5

I personally hate this song,  but it's perfect when thinking about Maximum Ride- the Erasers and Max.
The Monster- Eminem, Rihanna
To all those characters with powers that are complicated, to say the least. Like Ruby from TDM...
We Are The Champions- Queen
Best victory song ever. Especially after the Hunger Games.
Blank Space- Taylor Swift
"It'll leave you breathless/Or with a nasty scar." Harry Potter, anyone?
Superheroes- The Script
To everyone who's struggled, whether in real life or in books.
Landslide- Fleetwood Mac
"I will go down with this ship." Shipping fangirls, unite!
You Belong With Me- Taylor Swift
This song reminds me of My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick...same idea, basically.
Summer of '69- Bryan Adams
This is a song both Eleanor and Park hate. 
Midnight Memories- One Direction
This song reminds me of Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick. Easily one of the weirdest books-and videos- ever.
Girl On Fire- Alicia Keys
Katniss, anyone?
Maps- Maroon 5
This song kind of reminds me of Ben Tripp, Accidental Highwayman. Because there are maps.
Jealous- Nick Jonas
"I still get jealous." AKA every romance ever.
I have to admit, this is a terrible playlist. I really didn't like this challenge as much as I wanted to. But I really liked the first challenge (especially hunting in the library for my book) and I think the third one's really important.
II. My Favorite and Least Favorite Books Of January I have a Goodreads goal of reading 200 books this year. I'm already 11 books ahead, so things are looking pretty good! I'm trying to read a book a day, but some days I'm too busy to do that and some days I can read more than 1 book. Check out my Goodreads page here for info on my reading and my reading challenge. Anyways, here is my favorite book of January and my least favorite. It was pretty hard, considering as of January 27th, I've read 28 books.
Favorite:
1. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I had been wanting to read this for a really long time, and I just got a copy as a gift. I devoured the whole thing at school and all I can say is, WHOA. Plot twists everywhere. Anyways, it was pretty good. I really liked it, even though it was kind of confusing.
Least Favorite:
Boxers by Gene Luen Yang seemed like a really good book when I picked it up, but proved to be quite a disappointment. It was boring, single-minded, and just not something I found appealing. I didn't read the second book, Saints, because I really didn't like the first one. Usually, I read the second book anyways, but in this case there was no point. I don't recommend this book to any graphic novel fan. It's a letdown.
III. Books In General This Month So, I was feeling really lazy and didn't want to write all the books I had read. So, here's pictures courtesy of Goodreads of the 28 books I've read as of January 27th. The book in the top left is the most recent and the one at the very bottom on the right is the first book I read this month (and in 2015!)
Currently, I'm reading The Program by Suzanne Young as an eBook. It's pretty good, but I do have a few doubts about it. We'll see how it turns out!
IV. Other Things
January's been a crazy month (if you couldn't tell by the fact we haven't posted in two weeks.) I've been overloaded with academics, sports, and musical stuff. But some stuff I've been loving this month to help me relax is The Middle, Psych, and Netflix comedies galore. I've also been going crazy with experimenting with nail polish and making jewelry...it's been a fun month even with all the stress. Can't wait until we have Ski Break in February! Anyways, that's all for this wrap-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment