January 12, 2015

Kaylie's End of the Year Book Survey (2014)


Hi guys! I had planned to get this up before the New Year, but I got sick and did nothing for three days except sleep, so I failed terribly. But, better late than never, so here is my End of Year Book Survey for 2014! I'm super excited because it's my first time answering this survey, but it's the fifth annual one to be hosted.

This survey is hosted and was created by Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Tuner! So, if you would like to do this survey yourself, you can check out her post on it with the questions and rules.

This survey is a basically a bunch of questions to reflect on your reading and blogging in 2014. The beautiful graphics are also courtesy of Jamie :)

Number Of Books You Read: 

Including graphic novels, but not e-novellas or short stories, I've read 98 books. My goal was 100 books, I came so close! Here are my Goodreads stats, but including short stories, novellas, and such.


Number of Re-Reads: 

I've re-read five books this year. In chronological order, I reread Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, and Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Genre You Read The Most From:

I believe it was fantasy. I love reading fantasy because it's something you can only experience in books, it can't happen in real life. There's magic and new worlds and that's something I really love about books. But anyways, I wanted to make a graph of all the genres I've read but then it was too much work to count and classify each book's genre, so...


1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

Honestly, this is going to be so difficult because I didn't really get into reading before this year, so most of my reading was done in 2014! I read series that I've need to read for so long like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games as well as new releases and debuts! So I'm breaking up my favorite books by genre and a lot of these include the entire series as favorites :)

Contemporary/Romance (In Chronological Order Read)

  

Fantasy Favorites (Also In Chronological Order Read)

     

Other Favorites (You Should Know the Order by Now)

 

As you can see, most of my favorite books were fantasy, probably because majority of my reads were fantasy. There were so many good book I read this year, but these were the ones I narrowed down to.

2. Book You Were Excited About and Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. So many people have been RAVING about this book and it's been on people's favorites of 2014 and such, so I had such high expectations! I did like it, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I would.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?

The Maze Runner by James Dashner surprised me in a good way. I've heard some people rave about it, but quite a few of my favorite booktubers didn't like it that much, so I didn't have very high expectations. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the book.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken was very much pushed by me. Whenever people asked for a recommendation, this was CONSTANTLY the answer, along with others like Throne of Glass, all the Cassandra Clare books, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I was quite successful. Soumya, Christina, and Milli have read at least the first book of the trilogy along with some of my other friends.

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

The best series that I've started but haven't finished yet would probably be the Amulet graphic novel series by Kazu Kibuishi. I've read the first two novels out of six and I really enjoyed them. I hope to buy the rest of the series and finish it soon!

I read a lot of great sequels, so I'm just going to list the first five that come to mind:
  • Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
  • Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
  • Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  • Cress by Marissa Meyer
Best series ended I read in 2014 was most definitely Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. That book gave me all the feels. It made me laugh and CRY (which I do not do often) and just ahhhh. WILLIAM HERONDALE WILL BE MINE.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

Um, again. Didn't get into reading until, like, the end of 2013, so A LOT OF AUTHORS. Listing would just be easier for me:
  • Rick Riordan
  • Jenny Han
  • Leigh Bardugo
  • Sarah J. Maas
  • Laini Taylor
  • Stephanie Perkins
  • Morgan Matson
  • Suzanne Collins
  • Gayle Forman
  • JK Rowling
  • Kasie West

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Yes it is fantasy, which as you can tell I do read, but it's adult. I usually stick to Young Adult, but I still enjoyed this book.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

The entire Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. DUH.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han and Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson are contenders for 2015 re-reads. I highly enjoyed both and they both new favorites. I also read an ARC of To All the Boys I've Loved Before so I'll probably get the final copy and compare them.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

    
THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL. THEY ARE PLENTIFUL.

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

To many to count, so I'm going to break it into categories.
Protagonist/Main Characters: Percy Jackson (PJO and HoO), Cress (Cress), Celaena Sardothien (Throne of Glass), Emily (Since You've Been Gone), Katniss Everdeen (THG), Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasly (Harry Potter, duh), Tessa Gray (TID).
Book Boyfriends: Liam Stewart (The Darkest Minds), William Herondale (TID), Jem Carstairs (TID), Percy Jackson (PJO and HOO), Cricket Bell (Lola and the Boy Next Door), Frank Porter (Since You've Been Gone), Conner (Split Second).
Side Characters: Zuzana (Daughter of Smoke and Bone), Regan (Fangirl), Vida (The Darkest Minds).

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare are all favorites of mine from the year and all are beautifully written.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Most thought provoking book would be The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey, because hot damn that book makes you rethink everything you thought you knew. Life changing book, however, would most definitely be Harry Potter. It's going to be a huge part of my heart and life from now on and I can't wait to fully embrace the Potterhead lifestyle.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Harry Potter by JK Rowling, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan, and The Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan. They were all amazing and I have no idea how I've lived with the absence of Harry, Katniss, Celaena, Will, and Percy for so long.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?

Pretty much anything that comes out of Dumbledore's mouth.

16.Shortest and Longest Book You Read In 2014?

The shortest book I read was Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart, which is 192 pages. The longest book was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling, which is 870 pages.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most

Winger by Andrew Smith. Not going to say anything else because spoilers.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

Ahhhhh, you can't make me choose just one. My dock is full of ships! There's Will and Tessa (TID), Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter), Magnus and Alec (TMI), Izzy and Simon (TMI), Percy and Annabeth (PJO and HOO), Calypso and Leo (HOO), Thorne and Cress (Cress), Katniss and Peeta (THG), Vida and Chubs (The Darkest Minds), and many more.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

My favorite family relationships are  between Percy and his mother in PJO have because you can tell they love each other so much. And There's also Prim and Katniss from The Hunger Games. Favorite friendships are Rowan and Celaena from Heir of Fire, Clary and Simon from The Mortal Instruments, Karou and Zuzana from Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and Emily and Sloane from Since You've Been Gone

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. Um, how many times have I mentioned this book? I previously read the first four books of TMI and this year I read finished TMI and read TID, which I LOVED SO EFFING MUCH.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I would not pick this book up on my own. Probably has something to do with the title. But, so many of my favorite Booktubers loved this book, so I picked it up and really enjoyed it!


22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

See question 11 for a list of my new fictional boyfriends.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang! Amy is also a high schooler. *jaw drop*

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

The Harry Potter series and Throne of Glass both have great world building!

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

The Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan. It has Percy. No other explanation needed.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, and If I Stay by Gayle Forman. All the feels and the tears. 



27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

Pika-Don by The Stanford Graphic Novel Project. This is a graphic novel I read for class but I really enjoyed it! It's based on the true story of Tustomu Yamaguchi, who survived the atomic bombing of Hiroshimi and Nagasaki. (Add it on Goodreads)


28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

Clockwork Princess. Haha. Bet you didn't see that one coming.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han and Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson. Again, favorites of mine that both have unique premises and characters.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

17 First Kisses by Rachel Allen. I did not like this book. The entire premise just seemed so hypocritical to me and the main character was quite annoying.



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
Um, I kind of discovered all the blog I follow this year, so I'm just going to list the first three that come to mind. These Paper Hearts. Paper Fury. Novel Sounds. Click here if you'd like to see all the blogs I'm following!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?

I spent a lot of time on my Harry Potter series review, so if you wanna check it out and give it some love, it would mean so much to me!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

I don't really know what qualifies as "best" but I'm pretty proud of my Countdown Survey!

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I've only been to two event this year, but it would probably be going on The Story Crush Tour with Kiera Cass, Amanda Maciel, and Kevin Emerson.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?

Just finally finishing and perfecting the blog design and started blogging was probably the best moment of my blogging life this year.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

By views, my most popular post is my first one, about beautiful foreign editions of books.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

I spent a lot of time on my post explaining why I waited so long to read Harry Potter and I'm pretty happy with how that post turned out, so if you could check it out, it would mean a lot to me!

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Book blogging! I already knew about booktube, but I didn't get into the blogging side until I saw Priceiswong's blog!

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

Sadly no, my goal was to read 100 books and I only got to 98 as you saw in the stats. :(


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

Urgh, there are too many to list. I just want to try to read as much as possible in the new year. :)

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, to name a few!

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson! It's a graphic novel debut and it's based off her web comic which I've already read and loved.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

I am really excited for Winter by Marissa Meyer! I love the Lunar Chronicles and have high expectations for this conclusion. Some other are P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han, Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins and the fourth Throne of Glass book by Sarah J. Maas

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I actually wrote a post about this! If you'd like to read about my bookish resolutions and plans for 2015, click here.

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read and Recommend To Everyone:

I don't get ARCs too often, so I haven't read any 2015 releases yet.


Okay, that's it for this survey! Feel free to answer some of the questions in the comments or link me to your posts because I'd love to see your answers! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment