December 31, 2014

Soumya's End of the Year Book Survey (2014)


Hey guys! I can't believe that 2014 is almost over. It's been a great year, and I'm super excited to share this survey with you. It has a ton of questions about reading and blogging (in 2014.) This is the fifth year this survey has been running, but the first year I'm taking part in it. It's hosted by Jamie of The Perpetual Page Turner, so if you want to do it yourself, check out her post. The gorgeous graphics are also hers.


Number Of Books You Read:
Around 350, I think. That might be why I have no social life whatsoever ;)

Number of Re-Reads:
I don't reread much, but I'd say 11 or 12. Some books are just too good. And sometimes there aren't any good books left at the library...or, y'know, no cash to buy new books.

Genre You Read The Most From:
Contemporary, definitely. I read over 100 books over summer vacay, and most of them were contemporaries.


1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
I read so so so many absolutely AMAZING books this year. I'm just going to choose the most recent 5-star book I read this year, because otherwise this list will go on forever. So, here goes...The Diviners by Libba Bray. This book was freakin' fantastic. The characters flew off the pages, the plot was enthralling and hooked me in immediately, the setting was glamorous and detailed, and the ending was perfect. Longer review to come!

2. Book You Were Excited About and Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Living by Matt De La Peña. This book had the potential to be at least a 3.5 star read, but I gave it a very sad 1 star because Goodreads doesn't let me give a book 0 stars. The plot seemed wacky, but evidently it wasn't wacky enough to work. I hated the characters because they seemed super 2-dimensional, and the plot. The plot. Let me put it this way- the book basically lacked a plot. And the ending didn't tie anything together. I really wanted to like this book but I couldn't.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
Probably The Doubt Factory by Paolo Bacigalupi. The plot of this book didn't seem that good when I picked it up at the library, but once I started reading, I couldn't stop. The book hooked me in immediately and stayed that way until the last page.

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
I don't really do the whole "Read this or else" type of thing, but I do give my friends lots of recs. However, there isn't really one book that I recommended a lot. It just depended on the person.

5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
These questions are really killing me. Okay, so since I can't pick favorites, I'll just do ones that I liked a lot (4.5-5 star ratings). A series that I liked which I started (and finished!) this year was the Daughter Of Smoke And Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. I had a chance to meet her a few months ago and she really inspired me. Her trilogy was inspiring, funny, and full of great action and romance. One of the best sequels of the year for me might be Hollow City by Ransom Riggs. A lot of sequels go waaay downhill of the first book, and that didn't happen in this case. Kudos to Riggs for pulling off an awesome (but creepy) sequel! I think one of the candidates for the best series ender of 2014 is The Blood Of Olympus by Rick Riordan. I've been an avid fan of Riordan's books for a long time now, and this one definitely didn't disappoint. Another chapter or two wouldn't have hurt, though.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
I did this by going to Goodreads and looking at my most-read authors. I don't log books that often on there, but I still got a good feel for which authors I like. I would say Marissa Meyer, and also John Green. John Green for life! I'm not sure whether I started reading his books late 2013 or early 2014, but I'm close either way.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I usually hate non-fiction books. But this year, I read a really old (but good) non-fic called Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. This book is a really interesting take on how society works and how economy plays a role in that. There's cool lists in it like how a person's social stature affects there name and vice versa.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Uh...let's see if I can think back that far. Something action-packed that I read this year would be UnDivided by Neal Shusterman. It was a thrilling, chilling, creepy end to a fantastic series.

9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Rereads aren't really my thing. But the most likely pick is probably I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak.This is for many reasons. One, I own it. Makes it a lot easier than going to the library and/or being on hold for it forever to read it again. Two, I love The Book Thief. This book is a bit less sad. Third, I gave this book a low 2 star rating when I read it, because I really didn't like it. I might like it better this time. Fourth, this book was published waaay back in 2002, but it only recently got attention due to Zusak's aforementioned The Book Thief. But is it worth the attention? Fifth, this book won a best kid's book award, but it doesn't seem appropriate for kids by me...maybe I should reread it and my opinion might change. I want to reread it to clear things up, too.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
There are a lot of really pretty covers out there, but most of those books are on my TBR list. But one cover this year I absolutely loved is the one of Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi. It was a beautiful, eye-catching (haha) cover that definitely drew me into the amazing story.

11. Most memorable character of 2014?
I'm gonna cheat on this one. In Stephanie Perkins' My True Love Gave To Me, there were a lot of really memorable characters which made all of the short stories remarkable and unforgettable.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Okay, I know I keep talking about this book, but I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson is written beautifully. But since I've used the same book for a few answers, I'll choose another. It's a close call with Just One Day by Gayle Forman. I just finished it yesterday and I really liked it.

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
WHY ARE THESE QUESTIONS SO HARD? I can't answer these questions! *Sighs* I do think that a really thought-provoking book I read this year was Althea and Oliver by Cristina Moracho. I almost cried. But didn't.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin. This is a pretty famous book, but I never actually read it until this year because I got a copy from my book club's book exchange. Surprisingly, I didn't like it that much.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
"She knew what it was to wait for someone who would never come home. She knew that grief, like a scar, faded but never went away." - Libba Bray, The Diviners

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2014?
See, I kinda forgot to put dates on the books I read on Goodreads. So, uh, I basically have no clue. Ooopsies.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The Young Elites by Marie Lu. I thought it would be like Legend. It was the polar opposite.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Probably June and Day in Legend/Prodigy/Champion. They're just so perfect together.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Oh, this one's easy. Definitely Noah and Jude (brother and sister) in I'll Give You The Sun because they have a heart-wrenching, raw, beautiful connection. *Looks over at brother and sighs.*

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:
I really hate picking favorites. So, I'm just gonna throw a few names out there. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey, Lady Thief by AC Gaughen, Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson, and TONS more.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore was a book I wasn't interested in, but a lot of my friends pushed me to read it. I really loved it and read the entire series in a week.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Hmm...this is a hard one. Tons of amazing fictional guys out there. Well, here goes, I guess. Josh from Isla And The Happily Ever After, Levi from Fangirl, Liam from The Darkest Minds, etcetera, etcetera.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?
There's a few that I liked- Illusive by Emily Lloyd-Jones, Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas, The Art Of Lainey by Paula Stokes, and more.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
This one is really obvious for me. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline had a really incredible, vivid setting. It took a while to get used to, and there was a LOT of worldbuilding, but it was definitely worth it.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
I had a lot of fun reading The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Even though the plot is one of the worst I've ever encountered, this book is just so funny that I could not put it down or stop laughing.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
The Museum Of Intangible Things by Wendy Wunder. It was just so sad- and it looked like such a happy book.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Soumya: What?

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Soumya: Again, what?

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
I don't really get this question. Maybe Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld because it was told in the perspective of an author and also in the perspective of a character?

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
 Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carson Carriger. It seemed really interesting but turned out to be one of the most boring books I've ever read.



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I don't read blogs that often. I usually don't have the time (or the computer.) But I have been reading a few blogs inconsistently that Kaylie's been posting about. And I just got into the whole Booktube thing, so that's been pretty fun.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
My favorite review is probably I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson. That book was amazing! I had tons of fun ranting- er, writing the review.

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I do a lot of non-review posts, but one of my favorites is this gift guide that I designed for bibliophiles. If I can't have everything on it, I might as well recommend it to people.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Unfortunately, my life is not that exciting. But Kaylie and I did go see Kiera Cass a while ago (before this blog was born) and that was really fun. I got a copy of The Selection Stories signed, and that's pretty special because it's the first book that's ever been signed for me.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Joining this blog :) it's been an awesome journey so far and I'm really excited to share all my bookish obsessions with you guys.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
A halloween post. Technically, this is the third most popular post, but it's the most popular one I've written, and also the most popular post since I joined this blog.

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
A review I wrote of I'll Give You The Sun. I poured a lot of effort (and my heart and soul) into that review, and it's only gotten 3 views...

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Hot Topic. I can't believe that I, the fashion snob, didn't know about this store until Christina told me during the summer! This store is stocked with tons of bookish and pop culture clothes: we're talking TFIOS and Harry Potter here, people.

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
The Harry Potter Challenge! It was 30 days of fun- and short posts. Read my wrap-up here. Also the Bookish Bingo challenge! Here's my wrap-up.


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
I really want to read Love And Other Theories by Alexis Bass, which comes out Dec. 30th. Barely a 2014 release!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Guys, guys, guys. I am not going to just pick one. My TBR list is about 180 books long right now.

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I guess I'm looking forward to reading 5 to 1 by Holly Bodger. There isn't a lot of diversity in YA protags, nowadays, they're usually all white. This book has a unique dystopian plot (that's newish) and characters that are Indian...it seems interesting. We'll see.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Winter by Marissa Meyer. I need to know what happens!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
I'm really excited to keep posting on this blog. If I ever get my bookshelf set up, I would love to do a bookshelf tour. Maybe even a room tour??? I also want to start buying more books... sadly, parents often get in the way.

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read and Recommend To Everyone:
That would be none. I don't get ARCs, so this question doesn't really apply to me.

Tell me what you guys think below!

No comments:

Post a Comment