December 13, 2014

December Mini Reviews

Hi guys! So today I decided I'm a bit lazy and I didn't feel like writing a full review depicting every single feel I felt while reading a book. So, the natural solution was mini reviews, and they won't be very long, probably a paragraph each. The books I will be reviewing are: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey, and Winger by Andrew Smith. I will admit right now, that some of these books might be better to go into without knowing anything about them, so if you would prefer that, now is a good time to exit the post :) .

  
Click on the covers to visit the Goodreads pages.

Why I choose to review these three books, particularly, is because they all have amazing endings. So if you have tried to read these books, but never were able to finish, try to pull through for the endings because they will blow you away.

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken:
(Buy on the Book Depository)
I've read the entire Darkest Minds trilogy and I think I can safely say that it is one of my all time favorites. It takes place in a dystopian/sci-fi future where an epidemic has killed most of the children. But, the ones who survived develop powers, which are classified by colors (Reds have Pyrokinesis, Oranges have Mind Manipulation, Yellows have Electrokinesis, Greens have Super Intelligence, Blues have Telekinesis). The main character, Ruby, has survived and has been sent away to a "rehabilitation camp", which happens to be more like a cruel concentration camp that forces children into labor. That's the bare bones of it, in case you'd like to go into it blind. If you'd like to read the full summary, you can take a look at the goodreads page. This was the first book to actually make me cry in a long time and the ending had me going straight to the bookstore for the sequel. One thing I really loved about this series was the world, which was so unique and unlike any other dystopia I've read. I also fell in love with the characters, who are all so distinct and diverse and I loved the relationships between all of them. They all had different personalities traits and ethnicities, rather than typical cookie-cutter and stereotypical characters, which I really appreciated. Another thing I really enjoyed was the development in the main character, Ruby, over the course of the book. She learns to harness her powers and it's absolutely amazing. The plot was action packed and intense and I highly recommend it anyone who wants to try a new science fiction or dystopian series.


The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey
(Buy on the Book Depository)
The Infinite Sea is the sequel to The Fifth Wave, so if you haven't read the first book, I can't guarantee you won't be spoiled for that and you should just skip onto the next mini review.
This book was a lot more intense than the Fifth Wave. So much happens in a matter of maybe 300 pages.  It was thought provoking and by the end, you can't know if everything you know is true. I really liked the writing, it was descriptive but kind of eerie. However the paranoia in the characters grows and no one could trust even their own allies, which irritated me a bit because everyone's first instinct was attack anyone who approaches. I guess thats what happens in the apocalypse. But all in all, I liked the book, but it ended with a bang


Winger by Andrew Smith
Okay, Winger a the book I recommend that you go into knowing nothing at all. If you'd like to keep it that way, go read the book then come back and read my review :).
Winger is about a boy named Ryan Dean, who goes to a boarding school. He's been put into O Hall, the dormitories for troublemakers. The entire book is just about Ryan Dean going through high school, in short.
I did like that there was some humor in the story and there were illustrations because the main character was a cartoonist. However, I didn't love or connect to the main character that much and sometimes he just annoyed me. The plot didn't really grip me either but I think that what redeemed the book for me was the ending!

Okay, that's it for this post! If you've read any of these books, tell me what you think! Sorry I haven't been posting much, finals are coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment