December 31, 2014

Bookish Bingo Wrap Up

Hey guys!
I started the Bookish Bingo challenge, and then I sort of abandoned it because it was stopping me from reading the books I wanted to. But, I wanted to finish the challenge. And today, December 31st, I did! You can totally tell I'm not a procrastinator or anything.

Just a reminder, this is what the board looks like:


So here are my mini reviews!

Horror- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

I didn't like this book. Like, at all. I had to force myself through it. It was mostly the language. It was awkward, stiff, and unnaturally formal. I definitely will not be reading the sequels to this book.

Mystery- Closed For The Season by Mary Downing Hahn

I actually enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. It was funny, realistic, and straight to the point, which made it a very refreshing read. It was a short and easy read, which I highly appreciated after a long, stifling English assignment.

Romance- Graceling by Kristen Cashore

I loved this book to bits and pieces. Non-literal bits and pieces. It had everything in it, action and adventure, romance, espionage, magical powers, and a kick-butt heroine. What more could you ask for? Seriously. Nothing more needed. Ever.

Native American MC- The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

This book was strange, to say the least. I have mixed reviews about it. I loved the illustrations and the plot, as well as the identity of the main character at times. What I didn't like so much was the humor, the identity of the main character at other times, and also basically all the other characters.

A Book That Was A Gift- Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer

Over time, people have realized it's a bad idea to get me a book as a present, because I'll read it immediately and very fast, and then it'll just sit on my bookshelf. There's also the danger that I'll completely ignore the person who gave me the book, not even say thank you, and just start reading. Anyways, now that my tangent's done, what I mean to say is that I don't get very many books as gifts. So, for this challenge, I had to reread something. Which is okay, because I absolutely love this book! It's sweet, smart, funny, and overall just swoon-worthy.

Set In Autumn- Lovetorn by Kavita Daswani

I had such high expectations for this book. They weren't met. The writing was bad, and I felt like the plot was super flimsy. Also, the main character lacks identity. So does everyone else, except her mother, which I find ironic, since the whole book is about the main character's identity. This book was really disappointing.

Set In Space- The Restaurant At The End of The Universe by Douglas Adams

This book was kind of confusing, but so funny. SO funny. I don't think there was ever a page where I wasn't laughing. This book was great. It was light, hilarious, sarcastic, but still important, which I really appreciated and liked. Yay for this book! Okay, that was weird :)

A Book With A Creature On The Cover- The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

I finally got my hands on a copy of this book. I loved it so much. It was funny but full of tons of great action scenes. There was also just the teensiest bit of romance in it, which made the story a lot more realistic. Uh, well, as realistic as a book with magical stuff in it can be.

A Book That's A Fall/Winter Release- Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

This book was okay. It wasn't something I had to force myself to read but it wasn't engrossing either. The main thing I didn't like about this graphic novel was that the ending was highly unsatisfying. Other than that, I liked the plot line, and I felt like the main character was okay; she was sorta boring.

Historical- Pika-Don by The Stanford Graphic Novel Project

I really liked this book. It's a great graphic novel based off the true story of Tsutomo Yamaguchi. It combines faith, love, hope, desperation and courage into one heck of a powerful story that I devoured in one quick setting.

Reread- A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle.

Birds On The Cover- The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

I had to force myself to finish the story. A lot of the time I didn't understand what was happening, and I also felt like the romance was forced, untrue, and just part of the novel to make it more dramatic. I thought the character interactions were weak, and that there was very little positive interaction. Overall, this wasn't a book I enjoyed or would recommend.

Black Cover- Taken by Edward Bloor

Similarly to The Raven Boys, I had to force myself to finish the novel. It started out mildly interesting but only went downhill from there. There was no action or plot twists, just a straightforward tale told by a dislikable brat. I also didn't like the ending at all.

"Ice, Snow, Frost" In Title- Let it Snow by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson

I really liked this book. The stories were captivating and funny, and they tied together really nicely. I loved how all the parts were put together at the end and how the characters looked from different POV's.

Serial Killers- Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

I have mixed feelings about this book. The things I didn't like were the main character and the character transformation, because they felt really typical, and also the ending. Otherwise, on a more positive note, I really liked the plot and the beautiful setting of Paris.

Snow On The Cover- The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban

I enjoyed reading this book so much. It held my interest from the very first page, and I couldn't put it down. The story was captivating and enthralling, and the characters were true-to-life and lovable. I liked the way the two stories, Tim and Duncan's, overlapped and also how the characters interacted. Overall, I loved this book and highly recommend it.

Set In New Orleans- Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

I highly enjoyed this book. It was an intense, fast-paced sci-fi ish adventure that never slowed down and that I just couldn't put down. This book is not only a great story but also carries great messages about what will happen to the future if we do not care about our actions today. While it's mainly set on a boat, I chose it as a book set in New Orleans because quite a few scenes occur in Orleans II and New Orleans III, the future's versions of New Orleans.

Green Cover- The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi

I cried, I laughed, and I almost a minor anxiety/stress attack while reading this book. It's just that intense. This book made me really question human interaction, not only between humans, but between other species and in relative terms to the world. But, I sort of didn't like the ending. It was just so...okay, I won't spoil it, but the ending may suck if you like your books to end in a certain way. Oh, and the cover's really cool.

Red Cover- Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

I liked this book. It was sweet and funny, and the idea was really original. The illustrations are an original change, but the language was confusing at times. I think that it could have been executed better, but other than that, it wasn't bad.

Witches- Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

I really liked this book, and the entire series. It captivated me and didn't let go of my attention. There are definitely parts that could use improvement, but this book gets a solid 3.5-4 star rating.

Steampunk- Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carson Carriger

I dislike this book so much. I tried really hard to like it and couldn't. It just dragged on and on, had jokes that tried too hard, and there was no action or interest. 


I really loved this book. It was original and hilarious, and it turned a simple plot into a fantastic story. Next I would love to see the Broadway play.

Set On Halloween- To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

This is probably the most un-Halloween-ish book ever, but there's a big Halloween party in it and that actually has to do with the plot. I really loved this book (I'm a giant fan of Jenny Han) and am really excited for the next one.

Set During Christmastime- My True Love Gave To Me by Stephanie Perkins

This is a collection of short stories, and with the exception of 2 or 3, they were fantastic. They had adorable romances, lovable characters, and unforgettable settings. Five stars! 

I can't believe I actually finished this challenge! I'm really proud of myself. Tell me what you guys think of the books I read in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment