October 5, 2014

Bookish Bingo Update #1


Hey guys,
It's been a crazy week ever since I started the Bookish Bingo challenge. Okay, more like, it's been a crazy week since Monday rolled around. Again. Anyways, I thought I'd share my progress with you guys, and prove I am keeping up to my goal. Yay! I started this challenge on Sunday, and today being Sunday, I'm happy to say I've 8 read books, 2 more than my goal. :0

These are the challenges I've completed so far:
1. Reread: A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Engle
2. A Book With Birds On The Cover: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
3. A Book With A Black Cover: Taken by Edward Bloor
4. A Book With "Ice, Snow, Frost" In The Title: Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle
5. A Book With Serial Killers: Marie Antoinette Serial Killer by Katie Alender
6. A Book With Snow On The Cover: The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban
7. A Book Set In New Orleans: Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi
8. A Book With A Green Cover: The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi

Mini Reviews:

*Note- Since A Wrinkle In Time is a reread for me, I won't be reviewing it.*

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater- I had to force myself to finish the story. A lot of the time I didn't understand what was happening, and I also felt like the romance was forced, untrue, and just part of the novel to make it more dramatic. I thought the character interactions were weak, and that there was very little positive interaction. Overall, this wasn't a book I enjoyed or would recommend.

Taken by Edward Bloor- Similarly to The Raven Boys, I had to force myself to finish the novel. It started out mildly interesting but only went downhill from there. There was no action or plot twists, just a straightforward tale told by a dislikable brat. I also didn't like the ending at all.

Let it Snow by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson- I really liked this book. The stories were captivating and funny, and they tied together really nicely. I loved how all the parts were put together at the end and how the characters looked from different POV's.

Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender- I have mixed feelings about this book. The things I didn't like were the main character and the character transformation, because they felt really typical, and also the ending. Otherwise, on a more positive note, I really liked the plot and the beautiful setting of Paris.

The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban- I enjoyed reading this book so much. It held my interest from the very first page, and I couldn't put it down. The story was captivating and enthralling, and the characters were true-to-life and lovable. I liked the way the two stories, Tim and Duncan's, overlapped and also how the characters interacted. Overall, I loved this book and highly recommend it.

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi- I highly enjoyed this book. It was an intense, fast-paced sci-fi ish adventure that never slowed down and that I just couldn't put down. This book is not only a great story but also carries great messages about what will happen to the future if we do not care about our actions today. While it's mainly set on a boat, I chose it as a book set in New Orleans because quite a few scenes occur in Orleans II and New Orleans III, the future's versions of New Orleans.

The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi- I cried, I laughed, and I almost a minor anxiety/stress attack while reading this book. It's just that intense. This book made me really question human interaction, not only between humans, but between other species and in relative terms to the world. But, I sort of didn't like the ending. It was just so...okay, I won't spoil it, but the ending may suck if you like your books to end in a certain way. Oh, and the cover's really cool.

So that's how my reading's going!

No comments:

Post a Comment