October 25, 2014

Blogging is Hard.

Hi guys, so this is going to be a discussion post with a little announcement at the end. So the main topic, if you couldn't tell by the title, is the difficulties of blogging. Now I know this was bound to happen. Everyone says it. Blogging is fun, but it's actually really hard work too.

First off, I'd like to apologize. I've been terrible at blogging lately and haven't posted in over a week and then it was only a simple paragraph-length announcement. I've been kinda in a "blogging slump", you could say. I have a bunch of ideas for posts and started some reviews, but I can't really finish them or stay devoted for more than ten minutes to finish. That's the first difficulty of blogging. You need to be able to stay committed to your blog and be able to spend a lot of time on it. It's like taking care of an electronic child. Maybe. Kind of… Okay, not really. BUT YOUR BLOG IS YOUR BABY AND ITS SUSTENANCE IS YOUR POSTS. WITHOUT THEM THE BABY WILL DIE. Think of it that way.

Okay, then there's the idea of blogging in general. It's super scary because you need to come up with creative and interesting posts. And then you need to put them out there, which is even harder because you're sharing your opinions and thoughts and idea with everyone. Everyone knows that once something's on the internet, it never goes away (roll your eyes all you want, but it's true). Anyone can access your blog if they have Wifi. Then there's comments. One reason I joined the book blogging community over Booktube was because I feel like it's a much safer and nicer place than YouTube. There are so many haters out there, and even though the blogging community isn't quite as large as YouTube, there's still the risk.

Something else that is especially nerve racking for me is book reviews. More often than not, people will have different opinions than you so you need to find a way to stay firm by your thoughts, but not insult anybody. And that moment when you read a book that's so life changing and amazing that your thoughts literally are stars you cannot fathom into constellations? It's so challenge to just get all your thoughts straight in just one review. I was so nervous about putting my Harry Potter series review up because everyone knows how incredible those books are and to write a review that does them justice is a lot of pressure. I do like writing reviews and discussing books with people, but it takes me forever to write them and I constantly edit over and over. That's why I only post reviews every so often, compared to some bloggers who can post amazing reviews every week. Also the new subject of Kathleen Hale literally STALKING a book blogger for writing a bad review of her book scared me, just a little bit (If you haven't heard about this, it's been all over the book blogosphere, so I'll link you to a discussion post with links).

Next thing: LIFE AND TIME. The big thing that screws everyone over and not just during blogging. I'm a student, so there's tests and quizzes and homework all the time. Unfortunately blogging can be very time consuming and personally, sometimes deprives me of sleep. I know lots of us have busy schedules. Some of us are constantly studying for school, working, taking care of our family, or maybe are committed to other activities. I know everyone could do well with a little extra time, but as a said before, you must be devoted. Find the time to blog! GO ON AN ARCHEOLOGICAL EXPEDITION AND DIG UP THE TIME TO BLOG! You need to be able to fit in blogging into your overly-occupied life even if it's only for a short period of time.


So now your turn to discuss! What are some things that you struggle with as a blogger? How do you manage to fit blogging into your schedule?

And time for the announcement. I'm pretty sure some of you might have picked up on it by now, but I'm planning to take a short hiatus. It's kind of a lot of work to just come up with and write posts, but I often also have to edit and format a lot around the blog. I kind of just want to take a break but I don't plan to completely stopping book blogging for quite a while. Soumya will still be around to write, though, and I will do my best to nag Christina and Milli into finally posting something. You won't directly be hearing anything from me for a week or so, but I will still be looking over things and checking up on the blog, as well as try to finish some of my incomplete blog pot ideas. However, I will continue to post on the blog's Instagram account and try to use my time wisely by being more involved in the blogosphere and commenting. Try not to miss me too much!

It seems only right to end this post with the district twelve salute. 

Thanks for reading,

No comments:

Post a Comment