September 10, 2014

Review: Isla and the Happily Ever After

Book Title: Isla and the Happily Ever After 
Author: Stephanie Perkins 
Pages: 339 
Published: August 14, 2014 by Dutton 
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #3 
Buy on the Book Depository
Love ignites in the City That Never Sleeps, but can it last?

From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren’t always forever.

Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and √Čtienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new.

My Thoughts: 

Although I really enjoyed this book, it might be my least favorite of the series. This book was quite different then Anna and Lola. I felt that both Anna and Lola had a lot in common. Both their relationships were quite similar. They were both stuck in these sort-of-love-triangle situations, where their sexual relationship is pretty innocent and sweet and they don't get together till the very end, which I know can annoy people.

However, I felt that romance felt a little bit too instant in Josh in Isla's case. There were parts where Isla and Josh profess their love for each other and have more intimate and intense affairs, even though they've only been together for a month, which seems like a pretty short time to me. It wasn't an entirely bad thing, but I missed those cutesy, gooey scenes in the previous books, although this book did have it's moments. I understand if you have different opinions, because it's realistic and it actually happens in life, but I didn't really love it in this case.

The characters were only meh to me. I liked that Josh was an artist, but Isla was kind of a different story. I much preferred Anna and Lola's POVs. Although Isla was tolerable, sometimes she could be really annoying. She's so insecure to the point that it irks me. She's always moping around saying that she doesn't deserve to be loved, blah blah blah. Half of the fights that she and Josh have seem to have been started by her for no real reason. Isla just can't keep her mouth shut sometimes. The side characters weren't all that interesting either.

However, I still found the book quite interesting and I loved the cameos from our previously beloved characters (although they didn't happen till near the end and their appearances were very brief). There were some also interesting side conflicts, like Isla's relationship with her sister, her friendship with Kurt and the problem of finding a college to attend and deciding what to do in the future.

So all in all, I enjoyed this book but it wasn't my favorite of the companions. That's it for this review! Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment