August 12, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: To Read or Not to Read?

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic was top ten books you're not sure if you want to read. Whether it'd be a book you've bought but aren't that interested in anymore or books that seemed interesting but had bad reviews. Just books that you're skeptical about reading for various reasons. So, here are the top ten books that we're not sure about reading.

Kaylie's Picks:
1. Crewel I received as a birthday present last year and the reviews are only meh, so I'm a bit skeptical about reading it when there are books with reviews that are awesome to be read. Plus, it's part of a trilogy and I'm not sure if I want to commit.

2. I acquired an ARC of Anatomy of a Misfit from my local bookstore and I was kind of intrigued, but did know a lot about it because I wanted to go into it without know anything. I read the first couple chapters and wasn't that impressed. Then I saw a couple meh reviews saying this book deals with slut shaming and I don't really enjoy books with that topic, so I'm not sure if I plan to read it.

3. No One Else Can Have You is another ARC I owned, but got after the release date. The reviews are only okay, so I'm not sure if this book is at the top of my TBR.

4. The Nine Lives of Chloe King. I bought this book because I needed one for vacation, so I packed it with me along with about three other books. I never started it on that trip so I just left it on my bookshelf and then my friends saw it. They said that they tried reading it but didn't like it or one of their friends didn't like or they watched the show and it seemed kind of bad or inappropriate  So, I checked the Goodreads ratings and they were only okay. I trust my friends' (and Goodreads') opinions so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to read this book.

Milli's Picks:
5. I found the plot of The Lovely Bones intriguing. A young girl gets raped and killed. Once she arrives in Heaven, she tries sending messages to her family about who the murderer was. The reviews on Goodreads were mostly okay though this book receives a lot of attention. I also read a bit of it and the main character seems strangely okay with getting murdered and raped.

6. Anna and the French Kiss is a book that I've been thinking about reading some time now because it's been getting a lot of positive reviews from Kaylie and the general public. However, I feel self conscious about reading romance novels in public. Also, romance isn't really my thing so I may or may read it.

7. The reason I'm hesitant about reading Dreams of Gods and Monsters is because the first two books in the trilogy were very confusing to me and I don't want to start the last book without knowing what's going on.


Christina's Picks

8. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.  I am quite suspicious of this book.  I mean, come on, what were they thinking when they designed the cover?  Did they think that a shirtless male torso with tattoos would attract all the YA readers?  It kind of had the opposite effect on me, and made me actually take the book off the shelf and then put it back.
Now, though, after hearing glowing reviews of the book from my friends and the general public, I've looked into it a little more.  I'm still debating, though, for it's gotten very mixed reviews (the shirtless male torso isn't helping much, either).

9. W.A.R.P: The Reluctant Assassin by Eion Colfer.  I actually did start reading this book, and got about two thirds of the way through it before I went to the library again and started a bunch of other books.  It's really not a bad book at all, with a bad*** heroine and a cockney-accented thief from the past.  However, regardless of great characters, this book is violent.  Like, I'm talking vivid descriptions of blood and guts, multiple times.  
So, when the option to read a different book arose, I put W.A.R.P: The Reluctant Assassin in the corner for a time out.  It may or may not ever come out of it.  

10. Storm Theif by Chris Wooding.  I grabbed this book of the shelf because it looked so awesome.  A city where storms change everything, from streets to buildings to the inhabitants of the town themselves.  But when I started reading it, I just wasn't sucked in.  I hope that will change, but for now I'm putting this book on hold until a later time.  

That's it for this post! Feel free to share the books you're not sure about reading and your thoughts! Are there any reasons why we should or shouldn't pick up/continue these books? Comment down below!

No comments:

Post a Comment