August 18, 2014

Mini Review/Discussion: Fire with Fire


Book Title: Fire with Fire
Author(s): Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Pages: 517
Published: August 13, 2013 by Simon & Schuster
Series: Burn for Burn #2
Buy on the Book Depository
add to goodreads

**Do not read synopsis if you have not read book one, Burn for Burn**

Lillia, Kat, and Mary had the perfect plan. Work together in secret to take down the people who wronged them. But things didn’t exactly go the way they’d hoped at the Homecoming Dance.

Not even close.

For now, it looks like they got away with it. All they have to do is move on and pick up the pieces, forget there ever was a pact. But it’s not easy, not when Reeve is still a total jerk and Rennie’s meaner than she ever was before.

And then there’s sweet little Mary…she knows there’s something seriously wrong with her. If she can’t control her anger, she’s sure that someone will get hurt even worse than Reeve was. Mary understands now that it’s not just that Reeve bullied her—it’s that he made her love him.

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, burn for a burn. A broken heart for a broken heart. The girls are up to the task. They’ll make Reeve fall in love with Lillia and then they will crush him. It’s the only way he’ll learn.

It seems once a fire is lit, the only thing you can do is let it burn…

My Thoughts/Discussion: 

Fire with Fire was even better than Burn for Burn in my opinion. I loved the authors still kept the revenge aspect, but it wasn't the only focus.This book was so much more complex. There was romance, there was revenge, there were plot twists and paranormal aspects! During the entire book I was on the edge of my seat (or bed, rather). It was intense, exciting and had quick pacing. I still love all the characters and I'm happy that I got to learn a bit more about some of them. The ending was just mind-blowing and I'm really excited to see what happens in Ashes to Ashes. I love this series because it keeps you guessing, it's entertaining, and it gives you all the feels. That only down side about this book though, is that some parts of it were a bit confusing to me.


**WARNING: THE FOLLOWING WILL HAVE SPOILERS FOR BOOKS ONE AND TWO IN THE BURN FOR BURN TRILOGY**

I wanted to do a discussion about this book to interact more with you guys and to share my thoughts and predictions because this book is just… Well, this gif is the perfect visual representation of what I'm am feeling:


The first thing I want to talk about: Mary. I know everyone is wondering about this. As soon as I finished this book, so many questions flooded my brain. This was main part that confused me- Mary not being completely alive. From what I can understand is that Mary died the day she hanged herself. But Lillia, Kat, and Bette can see her for some unknown reason, however, anyone can see her on Halloween because "on Halloween the line between the living and dead is blurred." How did she go so many years without knowing she wasn't alive? How did Mary's father die (I'm wondering this because the of the discussion Bette and Mary's mother had before they left)? If Mary was really dead, what was happening in reality? Another part that I didn't really understand was after the car crash- why couldn't Kat and Lillia see Mary anymore? In the haunted maze, when Reeve told Mary to eff herself, was there a reason for that? I think that if Mary really died, Reeve would have know about it. Did seeing her spook him out? Did he think it was a prank or a joke of some sort? The whole concept of Mary being dead greatly confuses me and I hope to get some more disclosure in Ashes to Ashes. Tell me your thoughts on Mary's situation in the comments below!

Second thing: Reeve. I know that some people completely melted for Reeve in this book. To find out that he really cares about Lillia and his friends, so heart-warming, right? I'm still not completely sold on Reeve. The fact that it takes him eternity to admit his feelings for Lillia and make their relationship public kind of irritated me. In my opinion, this made him seem like he was cheating on Rennie. I guess it was nice to see some emotion out of him rather than just being the vain and cocky jock. But, I still don't really forgive him for the way he treated Mary.

Third thing: Rennie and her death. Here's the thing: I was spoiled. I was adding Ashes to Ashes to my to-read-list on Goodreads and I saw the words "After Rennie's death," literally in the second sentence of the synopsis. My hunch was that maybe she'd commit suicide or something after finding out that Reeve chose Lillia over her, but I was WAY off. I didn't mourn for Rennie the same way I would have normally. I never really like her, but I'm shocked to see her go, all the same. I'm curious to see how her death contributes to the plot of the next book. Any predictions?

Okay, that's it for now! Tell me your thoughts, opinions, and predictions on Fire with Fire in the comments below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment