July 28, 2014

ARC Review: The Iron Trial

Title: The Iron Trial
Author(s): Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
Pages: 304
Expected Publication: September 9th 2014 by Scholastic Press
Series: Magisterium #1
Source: I received an ARC from my local bookstore.
Buy on the Book Depository
Most kids would do anything to pass the Iron Trial. Not Callum Hunt. He wants to fail. All his life, Call has been warned by his father to stay away from magic. If he succeeds at the Iron Trial and is admitted into the Magisterium, he is sure it can only mean bad things for him. So he tries his best to do his worst – and fails at failing. Now the Magisterium awaits him — a place that’s both sensational and sinister, with dark ties to his past and a twisty path to his future. The Iron Trial is just the beginning, for the biggest test is still to come…

My Thoughts:

Hi Guys! I received an ARC of The Iron Trial from my local bookstore and I decided to do a review.

There was a lot of world building in this book, which was both good and bad. The writing was really descriptive, but sometimes it felt a bit repetitive. Quite frankly, I skimmed a lot of those descriptions and I have to say that nothing about the world really stood out for me. I didn't think that the characters were very unique either and at times. I often found myself rolling my eyes at the main character's stupidity. I understand that he is a kid, but there are things you can figure out with common sense. For example, it is never a good idea to keep a demonic dog as a pet.

However, Holly and Cassie's writing blends together really nicely and you can't tell who wrote what. The ending also had a really interesting plot twist that'll have you vying for the next book. I thought this book was a really quick read because it was only 295 pages and although it's classified as middle grade, I think it could as pass for YA. Many people are saying that this book is a rip-off of Harry Potter, but since I have not yet read that series (I have the first book and plan to read it this summer!) I had no problem with it. But I suggest you give it a chance! If you have read Harry Potter and The Iron Trial please tell me you thoughts and comments below. I would also recommend this book to fans of Percy Jackson and people who want a slightly more mature, yet fun, middle-grade fantasy book.


No comments:

Post a Comment